Once I write something in the blog, it becomes automatically law in my book. I can’t just go and tell you dearest blog friends about something and quit after a while. I want to be accountable for it and I don’t want to lose credibility so here we go…
In the next 3 months, no alcohol will touch my lips; I’ll drink from a straw… kidding! I’ll be as sober as a monk, oh wait wrong analogy, monk drink wine right? I’ll be as sober as a sleeping beauty. Make me think I should ask to be put in a coma for the next 3 months. LOL
So this is it, no alcohol until May 24th, I’ll even add an extra week to make it easier to remember so it will be June 1st when I can have a drink to all the sobers out there!
You might wonder “Richard, why would you do such a thing, why?”
My goal is to become healthier. I’m a little excessive and I can’t control myself when it comes to wine, if I take a glass of wine I end up having a second one and sometimes I don’t stop until the bottle or in some cases the bottles are empty.
A whole bottle of wine is 600 calories. If I’m conservative, I think that I drink at least half a bottle every 2 days. Let’s throw a few more in the count for good measure. So in a month, I might have enjoyed 10 bottles. That is 6000 calories or about 1.7 lbs per month.
I’ll take those 3 months to cleanse myself, it will also add to the benefit that there will be no headache the following days and I will be able to enjoy physical activities. It will also be beneficial economically. The wine we drink is about $13/bottle (in Canada) so 10 * 13 = $130 saved. How many happy meals at McDonald can I get for this… never mind!
To be successful, I have developed strategies:
- Never walk in a wine store
- Remove the words “wine” from my dictionary
- Go to bed at 7ish
- If someone want to drink around me, they can’t they have to do their drinking 100 feet from me.
- Do not eat pasta
- Do not participate in toasting
- Put red dye in my water glasses
- Be ready with good answers when in social event people ask: “Would you like a glass of wine Richard?”
- “No I joined a cult and we don’t drink.”
- “No I’m allergic to the color red.”
- “No I’m the designated driver”
- “No from Monday to Sunday inclusively I don’t drink.”
- “No it would be against my parole’s conditions.”
- “No I don’t like you and I only drink with people I like.”
- “No but if you have drugs that would be great.”
Only 3 more months to go…